CLICK ME TO FIND OUT

Saturday 8 November 2008

Koh Samui/Koh Phangan - Part 1



3 weeks ago, I had my first maiden flight with

Fire Fly
to Koh Samui from Subang Airport. Check in took sometime as the counter staff said there’s only 1 counter to check in to Koh Samui but she seems to look like a trainee to me cos she got her colleague’s assistance most of the time. Should she not familiar with the system , have her training in a mock up area before putting her on a real one! She was slowing down the check in que cos she was like sort of figuring out how to use the system.


Subang airport is under a major renovation or facelift. With new design, it is going to look very futuristic. So it was very dusty inside. You just don’t want to stay inside for that long and inhaling the dusty air.


While in d flight I didn’t expect anything cos this is a low cost flight as usual. And guess what, we have got muffin (taste good or was I hungry??ummm) , coffee/tea & juices and they offer us 2 rounds…Not bad huh!.



The interior looks very new (guess this is the newly purchased plane) . We have our seat right at the front. Good cos it is not near the engine or propeller. By the way, the entrance to the flight is at the back and those at the front seat are last to get out.


And finally 2 hours of flight , we finally reached Koh Samui Airport. It was a smooth landing by the Captain.KUDOS! This is an open airport (no aircond lar) and you could feel the heat. Very beautiful.

Outside Koh Samui Airport (a lot of outlet)

Shuttle to ferry us to main building





Aerial View of Koh Samui





As I reached the arrival hall, was quite blur , thought of getting a taxi like any other airport. FYI, there’s no taxi but there’s Mini bus or limousine. So, if it is just you or 2 person traveling, I suggest you take the Mini bus (buy the coupon over the counter) but if is a family of 4 or 5, make your calculation which is much cheaper for you .























Mini Bus (van) Price for all destination


I have planned for 4days /3 nights in Koh Samui but 1 night in Koh Phangan.. So, I purchased a transfer coupon to Maenam Pier (150 THB pp) to take the Lomprayah Ferry (250 THB pp) leaving at 12.30pm to Koh Phangan (Thong Sala Pier).
































While waiting at the pier, we are kind of hungry and had fried rice with prawn ...guess how much?...110THB!!!??? And this is a price that I will not pay for cos is too expensive but what to do this is the one and only restaurant available.Eat it or get hungry!For "kwai lo's"..is definately cheap here.



And the hotel that I have booked will provide free pick from the pier but I have to inform them what time my ferry was. You can actually inform the counter staff when you purchased the ferry ticket to tell the hotel. Keep the hotel contact with you. FYI, Lomprayah ferry will be suitable for those who take Firefly from Subang and planning to go on the same day. There are a few ferry services leaving from different pier. Info is available on the net. Lomprayah ferry do provide free transfer when you return to Koh Samui and drop you at your hotel door step or even to airport.Just tell the counter staff where you are heading to when you purchase the ticket.


I heard so much about Koh Phangan like the full moon party. The have got half moon /full moon & black moon party. Is a peak season during these period therefore most hotels are at higher rate.They followed the Chinese lunar calendar or you may search for the specific date of the full moon party on the internet. There is a schedule thru out the year.The party will start at late night till the wee hours and some hotels do provide you transfer to this party at Haad Rin area and pick you up in the next morning.


Well, I wasn’t interested in the party but the island itself. I have booked myself at the Grand Sea Resort http://www.r24.org/siameservices.com/kohphangan/grandsearesort/pictures.html

which is about 5 min from the pier and they were there to pick me up. And don’t expect a limo or car but Toyota Truck (sort of). I booked this resort becos I read so much of good things abt this resort thru hotel reviews. Not how fancy or décor or facilities but the people here and they have nice Thai architecture.








I was a bit disappointed as I entered the resort cos I saw there’s a construction going on behind the rooms that I booked in…gees...this is going to spoil my holiday. And they didn’t place an announcement on the internet where I booked my room. As I have been working in hotels for many years, one must inform guest when you are doing renovation or constructions.So it is up to guest whether or not you want to stay at the resort. And I have already paid my room and I can’t go anywhere. And I state my dissatisfaction while check in. So the wife called the husband who manages the resort, and here he comes Mr Duncan ( a british) and yes he understand me well and very helpful, got me a room near the pool and sea. He provided us info on where to go and where to enjoy sunset.


Rented a bike (200 THB – Auto/ 150 THB – manual). I strongly suggest auto even though u dunno how to ride. Is ez if you know how to balance a bicycle. And my hubby had never ride on an auto bike, he is so used to changing gear and using the leg to start the bike. However, this auto thing is kind of new. He didn’t how to start and it was just a push of a button. We stopped the bike and we couldn’t start it and tried numerous time and we started the bike by accident. Then the bike need some air and we told them, there’s something wrong with start button. But that boy make it so ez that it started by just a push of button and we finally came to know we got to press the break while he pushed the button and when we put down the stand, it will automatically switch off, we need not use the key or button to switch off…ummm how advance! And how DUNGU V R!


Kind of hungry when we arrived, we traveled up north with a bike and reached a small town with 7/11 and some local food around. Couldn’t resist and bought some thai pork sausages with glass noodle…YUMMY ! Went inside 7/11, bought some junk food like Lays potato chips…so cheap only 20 THB for the smallest pack. It is very expensive in Malaysia and bought a beach slippers – 79THB. Cheapest slipper so far cos the rest of the shop are selling 150THB and above. I like 7/11 in Thailand cos they have got quite a range of stuff to look at. Even Food was quite an array – u only need few minutes to heat it up like pasta,pizza,Thai noodles (not instant noodles), hot dog (varieties), Chicken burger,porridge, siew mai, pao,even prawn dumpling…can’t resist and bought prawn dumpling to try out (38THB) per bowl – 5 pcs. Is frozen and they just heat up by micro oven for 120 sec.It comes with soup and spring onion too. Very tasty & prawns taste fresh.So if you are hungry and want a quick food and cheap, 7/11 are everywhere near you. Prices for the food range from as low as 20THB to 60THB…To be continued



View Photos here Koh Samui/Koh Phangan

No comments: