CLICK ME TO FIND OUT

Monday 12 November 2007

Assam Laksa

I love Assam Laksa since I was young because is spicy & sour, lot's of vege and fish...btw,only Penang Assam Laksa has lots of fish (ikan kembong). In Penang, they just called it Laksa and I got so confused when I came to KL, when I called for Laksa, they served curry laksa which is just curry mee in Penang. And U will get mixed Bee Hoon & yellow noodle in Penang but KL hawkers will give pure yellow noodle if u do not specifically tell them you want a mix.

Is hard to find good assam laksa in KL but there is one in PJ.He sells laksa only in Pasar Malam - SS2 & Chow Yang.I guess everyone would know the famous stall where u have to que up with number as though u are in the clinic or bank. Be it "tar pao" (take away) or eat in, u have got to take a que number. Even the stalls arrive, the people will be there waiting for him. And at a point he had to pass the que number to a drink seller way before he arrives. So everyone was asked to take the que number from the drink seller. People are willing to wait for it cos he is good doing the laksa that taste at the right note that customer kept coming back.

The soup is very important. It shouldn't taste too sour. Some hawkers uses vinegar which is not right cos the sourness is too much...or shall I say over doing it. One should use only tamarind sheet & paste ("assam ko"). And uses ikan kembong but not sardine fish or selar.It taste different.

The last Thursday, I went to pasar malam at Chow Yang to have my favourite bowl of laksa, I was hesitating whether to have it or not cos I don't see the usual staff ...where is he?I was saying to myself...maybe he went to holiday & someone is replacing him...may be his relatives.So, I went on to have the laksa & I have to que up & take my number....here comes my laksa...OH NO!NO!...the first thing I will always do is to take a sip .....ummm...only sour...what happen to the rest of the ingredient ...something is missing.No WOW or No Yeah. I manage to eat only half a bowl. Feeling so dissapointed.Before I left, I asked the drink seller what happened to last seller...Oh! he has retired a few months ago and enjoying his life. Well, I was not aware and I have not been to pasar malam for quite sometime.

So now, I have to hunt for another good laksa stall.So food lovers, if u know which laksa stall I meant, forget about making the long que,it is not the same person who is selling your favourite laksa anymore. Don't waste your time.

No comments: