CLICK ME TO FIND OUT

Tuesday 23 February 2010

Hatyai - Southern Thailand Getaway

Before I finished blogging my Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai trip last year, here I am blogging about Hatyai (Southern Thailand). A very popular destination among the Malaysians & Singaporeans who will always make a short excursion during the public holidays.

Hatyai was in fact my first overseas trip when I was young being from the Northern region. I only need a border pass which is valid for 3 months and many years ago it cost me RM0.50 to make one...cheap ah! And I made numerous trip with parents and friends when I was young.

Well, I have not travel there for almost 5 - 6 years.Well, I made my first overseas trip this year by going to Hatyai during SUPER PEAK SEASON during CNY... Took a train from my hometown cost only RM20 per way.But can only purchased ticket on the day itself.I have to be at the train station @ 5.30am...Zzzzz.Train was supposed to leave at 6.15am however I waited till 8am only the train came. And while waiting luckily I went to nearby town to have some dim sum...phew.

I booked a budget hotel way 2 months ago . Called numerous 4 stars however it was fully booked d (yeah - 2 months ago). Then someone managed to book me in The Regency - sounds highclass....nahhhh - I have to say NO cos I won't spend a high price of 1800THB in Hatyai. You will know why later. So I decided to take the usual budget hotel that I used to stay (Center Mansion - 80/1, Prachathipat Road,Hatyai - Tel : 00 66 74 351430- walking distance from Lee Garden, opp Mayflower Hotel ) that cost me only 380THB which I used to stay. Don't expect much from this budget hotel - very very basic.Cleanliness is 5/10. Update on 23rd Aug 2012 - Price increased this time for peak season (Hari Raya) to THB650. And overall room price has also increased during low season . Economy used to be THB380. See price below


Center mansion's Economy room. Rooms has been repainted.



Toilet tiles changed.


Centre Mansion's lobby.Very small. Don't expect fancy hotel.This is real budget hotel

Why I say NO to The Regency...luckily I didn't book with the rest of the geng....You won't believe it...this is a huge hotel consist of 26 floors...My goodness the room that I went it to check out was dusty on the TV top, side tables too. Only left 3 pcs of tissues (don't even replace them the next day). The toilet bowl seats & cover got fungus....yeewwww, stain on long bath tub, floors etc..Well if m paying that kind of price I expected tip top condition. Center Mansion's 2 star budget hotel has a clean white toilet bowl and I pay cheaper for that....LOL!

Well, there are other choice of hotels available like Lee Garden (a lot of M'sian staying here)http://www.leeplaza.com/leeplaza_new/home.asp , Novotel http://www.novotel.com/gb/hotel-3727-novotel-hat-yai-centara/index.shtml, BP Grand Tower Hotel http://www.bphotelsgroup.com/bpgrd/bpgrdset.html , B.P Grand Suite Hotel ,New Season www.newseasonhotel.com/ - ridiculously priced during the peak season 2000THB - updated 23 Aug 2012) ,Mayflower Garden, Mayflower Grand Hotel (rate from 1130THB -non peak rate.Peak season surcharge of 300THB - updated 23 Aug 2012).These are some 3- 4 stars hotels)

I would like to recommend another budget guest house- Be My Guest. I would give 9/10 for cleanliness,Rooms comfortability 9/10 for a price of 450THB (NON PEAK SEASON RATE).I managed to take a peek...I love it. See it for yourself






Email Add : morn008@yahoo.com




LOBBY
Corridor










And opposite this guest house, I found a delicious beef noodle (40THB) and "Sar Hor fun" (next door but if u are eating beef noodle shop, just call a plate of Sar Hor fun from the next door) - they fried using a wok over a charcoal stove - so authentic. And lot's of ppl were queing up for the Sar Hor Fun




And over in the morning we have sumptious dim sum...u must be thinking why Hatyai Dim sum.But this is good and cheap. We spend about 850 HB for 9 adults & 1 child for Dim Sum (40 - 50 baskets + drinks). Was packed with diners. You got to get there as early as possible to get more variety of the dim sum otherwise a lot of things will be gone. A must try is their pork ribs- different from M'sia but damn good. And you get vege in their dim sum (not the one in M'sia). And I love the chili sauce (Sweet, spicy & sour)...so appetising. And the steam Glutinous rice"Lo mai kai' ...so yummy. FYI, the dim sum is standard price for whatever u order. No price difference.So many people eat as much as they can. And the portion are rather small...dim sum mah..suppose to be small.


"Chok dee Dim Sum - just say this to tuk tuk. If u are staying near BP Suite or Be my guest hotel  you are actually walking distance if you know d way. There's a road opposite Be my Guest Hotel. Just head straight all the way to the end T junction and turn right and keep left side...may be less than 300m"









 Bak Kut Teh @ Chok Dee Dim Sum..must try.Small pot @ 80THB.Make sure u tell them want pork ribs and lean meat...or else they oso serve pig's tail provided u eat that too (updated on 23 Aug 2012)


Dim Sum price list is standard THB16 per basket (updated 23 Aug 2012)

For massage, don't go to this shop that I tried. Foot massage was ok (200THB for 1 hr) but I requested for manicure...OMG ... so teruk.Is cheap @ 150THB.My nails were badly done. My nails were kept nicely all this time however the so call manicurist had totally spoilt it. My nails were square and she gave me a diamond shape. (some were out of shape too). She cut the side skin which I totally didn't enjoy at all and it hurts & some nearly bleed...SO NONONONO for this shop . Do recognise this shop



If you are really into good massage, I strongly recommend this shop . Best to call for an appointment. they have no more than 10 masseuse.They really give you a pressure on the right point and work on your aching area or stiff shoulder and neck. They even use hot stones (Wrapped with towels) n all over your body. The shop next to it belongs to same owner sells steam soup (got 5 - 7 varieties) and dessert "tong sui" like glutinuous rice ball with black sesame - must try, very good. To get a good massage & try the soup, go early. Massage first then eat. Never do the other way. Print out this picture and ask your hotel reception how to get there. Is only walking distance from Regency, Lee Garden, New Season and Novotel (don't need tuk tuk). Call them for direction if you need. The lady boss is very helpful. She speaks hokkien, mandarin as well.




Soups & desserts (MUST TRY)
Picture coutersy of other blogger
Visited a few temples in Hatyai (this is the place I have not been. Sorry I don't recall the name). Rented a van that cost us 1300 THB...normal day it will only cost 700 -800 THB only..haizzz!






Update 2015 - The nite market has been upgraded with better facilities and shop allocation. And I was not able to find where the good kueh chap is.


And there's this night market open from 6pm - 10.00pm from Thursday to Saturday. Just take tuk tuk there @ 20THB per person (anywhere u go in Hatyai within the city the price is 20THB). Tell tuk tuk to go "pe thai" - sounds like petai. Food & clothes are cheaper here compare to city centre. You can get Man T Shirts (plain colored T shirt) @ 100THB and lady's clothing from 150THB to 399THB.





Must try food here is "kueh chap" @ 35THB...just tell them to mix everything.



There's one stall near the street that sell the local sausage...must try oso.

Hawker's food near Lee Garden Plaza Hotel are not cheap.More expensive than KL. Wonder why? They don't even need to pay rental. Anything u order be it noodle or rice or leng chee kang, it will cost 50THB...KL cheaper hor..and portion also big. Their portion is like Penang portion...the bowl looks big but the portion is only may be you can finish in 5 mouth full....!

For other shopping area that you can head to is Big Plaza - big market or just tell tuk tuk to go to "talat". You can buy clothings (old & young), handbags, leather shoes, rice, food etc. If you like Glutinuous rice , you can buy them here at the market - 1kg - THB32 - 40.There are 2 blocks of building, so go both.This big market closes at 5pm.

(Update 2015 - If you wish to buy good glutinous rice, fragrant rice brown rice & black rice and if you r taking the private taxi or van to go back to the border, you may ask the driver to stop over for you to buy which is under the bridge or any shop along the way. And each person is allowed to buy 5kg)


And interestingly, my mom said there's a floating market in Hatyai and sadly I din't manage to get there cos it opens on on Sat & Sun. I left on Sat morning, otherwise I would have made some comparison comments between this one & the one in Bangkok. Anyway, you may read from this blog if you plan to go http://www.icalvyn.com/hatyai-klong-hair-floating-market/


For those of you, driving from south of Malaysia or using the PLUS highway, you need to get yourself all the way to Bt Kayu Hitam and park your car @ duty free shop. The fee is RM15.00 per day (updated 23 Aug 2012)----> I think price has gone up to RM17 as in 2015 . But if you wanna drive in to Hatyai, you got to have all the necessary car documentation and purchase Thai insurance.btw, the insurance only compensate their Thai vehicle not any foreign vehicle should there be any accidents. ( I really don't suggest that cos driving in Hatyai is crazy) . After you have passed the Thai immigration, there are van transport to take you to Hatyai Bus station @ 57THB(updated 23 aug 2012 - Price increase from 55THB) which is located right in front of 7 eleven.There's a lady seated outside selling tickets. Just tell her where u want to go and which hotel. The van will take you to the hotel.

 (Updated July 2015) Alternatively, you may take taxi from the duty free shop . Car (4 person) @ THB700 or van if you have more people (1200 - 1300THB). And the taxi will drive all the way to your hotel and you can book them for return & they will pick you up from the hotel.If you have not book the room, the taxi driver will ask you too n assist you by going to the travel agent office.

When you want to return to border,just grab a tuk2 @ 20THB to bus station in Hatyai .Go and buy your ticket to Danok at the office which is near the toilet. same price and wait at platform 26. From Kayu Hitam border to Hatyai city centre it will take approximately 50 min.

When you pass the border, you got to pay 10THB to the Thai immigration officer (they said overtime fees or public holidays fees). Just give RM1.00 also can which I tried recently (updated 23 Aug 2012)Very daring lor ...openly they ask for it. However, those taking train going thru Padang Besar, Thai immigration will not ask for it. It seems double standard that Thai immigration officer will only ask from Malaysian or Singaporean...they will not ask the "farang" regardless they give or not.


Lastly, I find that exchange rate is higher over in Hatyai. RM10 = 9.95THB (during my trip)- updated 23 Aug 2012 will be able to get good exchange rate opposite "Pink Lady".Update 2015 --->Rates at Pink Lady not really that good kind of low. Found out after the Thai immigration at the border, there are a few money changer provide much better exchange rate


Kop Khun ka!


30 comments:

Smurf said...

Do you have the address for the dim sum shop? I'll be staying at Novotel for this weekend. And does your van rental price includes a driver and for how many hours is the rental? Please advise the travel agency name if applicable.

Unknown said...

Hi smurf

I don't have the add of the Dim Sum shop.But u may print the picture out n show it to the tuk tuk driver.M sure u won't go wrong. And as for the van rental, it comes with Driver...sorry I dun have the contact as well, we just walk in to a Tvl Agency which is near to Novotel, there are a plenty there, just walk in & check out d price before u confirmed anything. Don't arrange on the 1st day u arrive but the 2nd day.The whole journey took us from morning @ 10 am till 4-5pm. Hope it helps.

Ben said...

DO you have any clue the Dim Sum located? Near by which Area? Near by which hotel or Market??

Unknown said...

Hi Ben

Check out yr FB message. Cheers!

Terry said...

May i knw where is the pasar malam? I have been hatyai so many time, but stil dont knw this place yet...thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
How do you did your reservation for the 'Be My Guest' room or 'Central Mansion' that you recommended? Just phone there to book will it do? and pay during check-in....I wish to go Hatyai this Raya Holidays. I asked the agency at my hometown... All the rooms are above rm120+..I just want a clean place & convenient place to stay at Hatyai...

Unknown said...

Hi Terry

Dunno exactly where it is however I just flag a tuk tuk and ask them to take me there...just say "petai". Just remember the days that they have the night mkt

Unknown said...

Hi
U r going during the peak season. Be prepare to pay for more. They oso follow M'sia PH.

Centre Mansion Hotel or shall I say a very budget budget small hotel(Located opp Mayflower hotel), their rates will remain d same thru out the year. Where else Be My Guest rate will increase 100% during peak but is less than 1000THB depending which category. Yes, just call them to book. Centre Mansion may have problem talking english to them. call in the morning before cos there's a gentleman who speaks a bit of English. Word by word...Good luck! You should book it NOW!

Phuket Hotels Thailand said...

Thanks so much for sharing informative post.

Ms Valentine said...

wow, so interested..i wud like to go to Hat Yai, but next year.I will use ur blog to guide me!

Unknown said...

U certainly can....:-)

Unknown said...

Any pic of this center mansion ? Just wanted to take a look of the guest house condition. Thx.

Anonymous said...

do you have center mansion pics? Just wish to take a look of the guest house condition especially the toilet. Thx

Anonymous said...

So you have pics of the Center Guesthouse, wish to take a look of the condition especially the toilet. Thx.

Unknown said...

Hi wk

Nope.Tis is a very very basic guest house . don't expect much.Is cheap & given you the basic amenities. don't expect sparkling clean toilet like your home or 5 star but if u can afford more, go for Be My guest.They are newer. Everything looks good.Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hy. Just wondering, is there any muslim's food in hatyai?

Unknown said...

Hi

Yes there r quite a number of muslims reataurant around as well as hawkers especially selling fried chicken.U will recognise the muslim sellers cos most of them will wear head scarf (tudung)

Anonymous said...

DO you have any clue the Dim Sum located? Near by which Area? Near Lee garden?

Unknown said...

Not near Lee Garden. Print out the picture & show it to d tuk tuk

anna said...

hi,if i wanna walk from Be my guest to Lee garden plaza,hw long would it take??

thanks for ur reply...^^

anna said...

Hi,if i wanna walk from Be my guest to Lee garden plaza,how long would it take??

thanks for ur reply...^^

Unknown said...

Hi Anna

Is less or within 1km. As exit the entrance of the hotel,go left n all the way straight.

Jazzy-Dreams said...

Hi there..i need ur help, ok..i will be around in Penang on 28 July, and intend wanna get an early train, what time train avail from penang to hatyai?Thanks..please reply to jazmyne81@yahoo.com...
Thx again

longwaytogo said...

Hi, is lee garden good? I'm going this end of the year, was wondering which hotel should I book. I need some hotel which is clean, comfy but not so pricey. I think cleanliness is the most important after all.

And I was wondering whether the shopping in Hatyai is it consider good as for clothes. Is it cheap?
According to my cousin, Hatyai's shopping price is kinda similar with Malaysia. Bangkok is better?

Unknown said...

Hi,

I personally dun like it. Cos too many ppl stay there n crowded. Paying that high n I only get a so so room. The room doesn't look appealing or u will fall in love with. They have high turnover which I dun like

Whereelse Be my guest is cheap,clean, not so crowded.Only a few units.IS newer.I like it . Everything looks new n clean.

N as for clothes is definately cheaper in Hatyai comparing M'sia. Depends where u buy. Compare to BKK, BKK is cheaper lar. Food wise Hatyai is extremely expensive lor cos everythin starts fom 50THB per bowl for hawkers around Lee Garder..Really cut throat price.. If u go 2 d night mkt then food around there is cheaper.While in BKK u can still find price from 35THB.

Anne said...

Hatyai is hot, dusty, humid and yet it has not failed to captivate the hearts of many people from the northern region...Check out the authentic Thai food Udompochana restaurant at 210-212 Samchai Road Hatyai and kaneng restaurantPhone 074 246138....

Thanis Lim said...

I'm actually staying at Tune Hotel for my Hatyai trip. Hopefully the distance away from the dimsum shop won't be too far :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Seems like u r familiar with Hatyai.
I wanna ask u, are the shops open during Chinese New Year?
I plan to be there this CNY.

Joe

Unknown said...

oops...just saw yr msg.dunno where's tune hotel.perhaps u may check wz d reception if u wanna go there.Have a good trip

Unknown said...

they r more happy to do biz during cny cos there r many tourist fr msia n spore